Monday, August 24, 2009

How to make your own Certificate of Authenticity for your art!



Are you already a collected artist or an up and coming artist who is just starting to sell online? Have you considered providing a Certificate of Authenticity along with the artwork you sell? You should! It not only shows professionalism, and that you take your work seriously...it is a wonderful way for your customers to remember you, learn more about your piece of work, and view your artwork as a wonderful investment!
If you have Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements (which I used) you can also create a COA. The size I chose is 5" X 7". In Photoshop Elements, in the custom shape tool, you can choose "frames." Use one of these as a decorative border for your page, and drag it to enlarge it. I clicked on "simplify" to create the look I wanted for the frame I chose. I used a free clip art ribbon banner, and typed : "Certificate of Authenticity" on it, then "copy merged" it and pasted it onto my page, sizing it appropriately. After that, just select a classy text/font and add the rest of the info needed. After researching what is best to put on a COA for my type of work (paintings/mixed media originals), I chose what is shown here. I will be including these with the purchase of my paintings from now on. It is best to print these on a neutral colored parchment paper that is a little heavier than normal paper. You want it to look classy, and not tear easily. These can be used for prints too...you'll just want to adjust the info to include things like what number it is...how many of these prints exist, etc. Do some research online to find which would suit you best. I am sharing my example, and hope this post is helpful! Please contact me with any questions!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ran across your blog when I googled "how to make a certificate of authenticity". I was doubly blessed by the answer! Thanks.
happy day,
Micah

Kitties & Cupcakes said...

You're welcome Micah. I had the same problem when I did a google search, so I thought I would share what I had learned. Love your art, by the way! Best of luck, Lori

Shannon said...

Hi! Thank you so much for your post! I was trying to find an COA, but I wasn't liking what I found online. So, you helped me create just a simple one that fits what I do! :-)