Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas Mr. Turtle!

My good deed today was saving the life of a neighborly turtle. I was leaving for the post office (heck, I should just put up a tent outside there, because I am there every day), and saw a huge, beautiful turtle trying to cross the road. He had freaked out and was just sitting there with his head in his shell. I wanted to stop right there, but there was no safe place to park the car (it was on a curve), so I went back into my housing edition, parked and took off running. He was a little further down the road than expected and I was tempted to slow down and walk. I kept running, and it was a good thing I did. He was trying to cross the other side of the median now, toward the pond...and there was a huge dump truck coming. I didn't reckon most dudes in dump trucks would break for a turtle, so I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me and approached the turtle. He of course pulled all of his legs and his head inside in fear. I told him not to bite me, and lifted him up. He was a heavy fella! I carried him across the road toward where he was going, and sat him gently in the grass by the edge of the pond that flows behind our house. The funny part is, as I was backing away( still keeping my eye on him to see if his head would pop out), another turtle that looked just like him surfaced in the water, and swam towards him. I would like to think that they were buddies and he was greeting him, and happy he made it across the big scary road. So, my turtle will hopefully spend Christmas swimming safely and happily with his turtle buddies in our backyard pond.
And then I had an asthma attack from all the running.
The End. : )